“DUMB” by Hanni El Khatib – COOL HUNTING®


Earlier this 12 months, LA-based singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist Hanni El Khatib introduced his upcoming album, FLIGHT, which he wrote largely within the wake of a life-changing automobile accident. The report (out 15 Might on Revolutionary Leisure) is proof not solely of El Khatib’s means to evolve and experiment as a musician, but in addition his dramatically shifted perspective—one thing that he says manifested in varied methods creatively and personally. At present, we’re delighted to premiere the only “DUMB,” a track that he and his collaborator Leon Michels (frontman for El Michels Affair who has labored with Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings, Lana Del Rey and others) based mostly on an 808 bass sound and a vocal pattern. We additionally spoke with El Khatib about writing music, and the way it’s modified for him.
[embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdNUtpi0Dgk[/embed]
Inform us about writing “DUMB.” Was there a temper or message you needed to create for the listener or was it one thing for your self?
Musically I had been trying to find the appropriate observe to discover minimalism. The entire track was constructed off of an 808 bass tone and a vocal pattern we created, and I simply needed it to have some rigidity and to really feel unresolved however on the identical time really feel dense and sophisticated.
It’s fairly completely different from the earlier releases from the report. Are you able to inform us a little bit concerning the movement of the brand new album?
The entire report is fairly impulsive. I needed to work very intuitively and really make songs that felt good to me on the time. That was the entire level of it. No thought was off the desk. I actually simply needed this album to really feel like a mixtape or playlist I'd truly take heed to. After all there's a frequent theme and vibe to this report, however I needed it to really feel extra like a collage of sounds, not certain to at least one style or fashion particularly. It was all concerning the sonic textures and making a temper.


The entire expertise gave me that a lot wanted push to essentially embrace all features of myself to be able to create freely
You stated about “ALIVE” that your perspective had shifted for the reason that accident. Did that manifest in that specific track or in your general strategy to creating music?
Nicelyacross the time of the accident I nonetheless hadn’t given myself a deadline for the report. I used to be working within the mindset of countless exploration and nonetheless was uncertain if what I used to be engaged on would turn into the album. Leon Michels and I had been sending demo concepts backwards and forwards and recording collectively every time we have been in the identical metropolis, however it was all a bit unfastened and there was no sense of urgency. Nonetheless, after I received in that automobile wreck, I immediately felt the necessity to end these songs and concepts that we had began. I believe I hit Leon up the subsequent day and was like… “I have to ebook a flight to NY at this time so we are able to wrap this report up!” I believe it’s secure to say that the story manifested itself in “ALIVE,” however the entire expertise gave me that a lot wanted push to essentially embrace all features of myself to be able to create freely. Surprisingly, it seems like a blessing.
Contemplating the space you will have from the writing the album now, and maybe additionally the present local weather, do you end up listening to the report another way?
In a means these songs have discovered themselves in a brand new context given the state of the world in the meanwhile. It’s so bizarre that songs like “ALIVE” and “STRESSY” lyrically and sonically one way or the other look like they have been written and recorded in quarantine. I really like how music can morph with its atmosphere and to individuals’s feelings.
Photographs courtesy of Dustin Aksland

Source link 

Comments